Why is Vitamin C such a beneficial vitamin?
25 April 2022
Why do we need Vitamin C?
Vitamin C is an antioxidant that helps to protect your cells fight against the effects of reactive oxidative species (ROS), such as free radicals. Free radicals are molecules that are produced when your body is exposed to radiation from the sun, tobacco smoke, breaking down food, X-rays and other sources. Free radicals may play a part in developing cancer, heart disease and other illnesses.
Benefits of Vitamin C
Vitamin C has multiple important functions. These include:
- Helps to protect cells in the body and keep them healthy
- It plays a role in enhanced brain function
- Helps to improve the healing of wounds
- Maintains healthy skin, cartilage, blood vessels and bones
- It is an antioxidant, so it helps to remove unwanted substances, such as ROS from the body
- Helps to boost the body’s immune system
- Helps the body absorb iron
- Helps the body produce collagen
The antioxidant activity found in vitamin C might help to reduce the risk of developing multiple conditions, such as cancer and minimise inflammation.
Vitamin C is needed to produce collagen in the body. Collagen is the main component of connective tissue and makes up 1-2% of muscle tissue. Collagen is a key component in tissues such as tendons, skin, ligaments, bones, blood vessels and more. Vitamin C is essential to fully recover and repair the body with collagen after an intense workout or damage to fibrous tissues.
Vitamin C Deficiency
Most people consume enough vitamin C in their diet, but a vitamin C deficiency is more likely to occur in people who:
- Have specific types of cancer
- Have certain gastrointestinal issues
- Smoke or are exposed to second hand smoke
- Have a limited diet that doesn’t include vitamin C rich foods like fruit and vegetables.
Extreme vitamin C deficiencies can lead to scurvy, which is a disease that causes bleeding gums, poor wound healing, bruising and anaemia.
Where can you find Vitamin C?
Because your body is unable to produce vitamin naturally, you have to consume it every day in food or natural supplements.
Vitamin C is found in a wide variety of vegetables and fruit. Good sources of vitamin C include:
- Citrus fruits
- Brussel sprouts
Vitamin C is also available as an oral supplement through capsules, pills or drinks. Vitamin C drinks, such as BoostPRO can be used after workouts to speed up recovery time and help prevent any muscular injuries produced by the exercise.